Hypercalcemia

Hypercalcemia (calcium high blood level) is a calcium high blood level concentration above 10.5mg (milligrams) per blood deciliter. Hypercalcemia 300x202 HypercalcemiaHypercalcemia may be resulted from either increased calcium intake or increased gastrointestinal  absorption.

Individuals, who ingest large Calcium’ amounts and also use Calcium consisting antacids, may progress Hypercalcemia. Vitamin D overdose similarly may affect Calcium concentration in the blood by significant increase in calcium absorption from the gastrointestinal tract. However, the main cause of Hypercalcemia is disorder called Hyperparathyroidism, the excessive parathyroid hormone’s secretion by 1 or more of the 4 parathyroid glands.

About 90% of patients with primary Hyperparathyroidism have adenoma (noncancerous tumor) in one of these small glands. In the rest 10%, the glands enlarge and produce excessive hormone amounts. Rarely, parathyroid glands cancer result in Hyperparathyroidism.

Hyperparathyroidism is more likely to occur in females than in males. It is also more likely to progress in older individuals and in those people who received radiation therapy to the neck in the past. Individuals with cancer frequently have Hypercalcemia. Ovaries, lungs, or kidney cancers frequently secrete large protein’s amounts. Cancer also can metastasize (spread) to the bones, destroying bone cell and releasing calcium in the bloodstream. This is mostly occur in lung, breast, and prostate cancers. Multiple myeloma also may cause bone destruction and result in Hypercalcemia. Diseases where bones are destroyed or resorbed, can also result in Hypercalcemia. One of these diseases is Paget’s. Individuals who are immobilized, such as those on prolonged bed rest, quad riplegics, or paraplegics, may also progress Hypercalcemia because the tissue of the bone is resorbed.

At the beginning, Hypercalcemia is diagnosed during routine blood analysis. Underlying causes are frequently apparent from the patient’s history and current activities (for instance, using calcium-consisting antacids for indigestion or drinking a large milk’s amount), but generally, x-ray or laboratory tests are required to determine the cause.

At early stages, Hypercalcemia symptoms include abdominal pain, constipation, vomiting, nausea, and loss of appetite. The kidney can produce excessive amounts of urine, the body’s fluid decrease and dehydration symptoms may occur. Very serious Hypercalcemia frequently results in brain dysfunction symptoms including delirium, confusion, weakness, coma, hallucination, and emotional disturbances. Abnormal heartbeat and death can follow. Stones in kidney consisting of calcium, can for in patients with chronic hypercalcemia. If Hypercalcemia is prolonged and severe calcium-consisting crystals  form in the kidney, it results in permanent damage. The treatment of Hypercalcemia is based on how high and why concentration in blood has increased. If such concentration is no higher than 11.5mg per blood deciliter, correcting the underlying causes are frequently sufficient. Individuals with normal kidney function and those who tends to progress Hypercalcemia are usually ordered to drink plenty of water, which stimulates the kidney to excrete calcium and help to prevent dehydration.

Diuretics including Furosemide increase the calcium excretion from kidneys and are a main treatment. Dialysis is very effective, reliable, safe treatment, but it is generally reserved for those patients who have severe Hypercalcemia, not treatable by other techniques.

When other treatments fail, Hypercalcemia may be cured by other drugs, including Corticosteroids, Plicamycin, Bisphosphonates, Calcitonin, and Gallium Nitrate. Such medications are working primarily by slowing calcium movement from the bones. Hypercalcemia resulted from cancer is different to treat.

Tags: , , , , , ,

You might also be interested in:

Hypocalcemia Hypocalcemia (low calcium's level in blood) is a calcium concentration in blood under 8.8mg (milligrams)...
Hyperphosphatemia Hyperphosphatemia (high level of phosphate in blood) is a condition, in which phosphate concentration...
Hypermagnesemia Hypermagnesemia (high magnesium level in the blood) is a concentration of magnesium in blood higher than...
Hypomagnesemia Hypomagnesemia (low magnesium level in the blood) is a magnesium concentration in the blood under 1.6...

Leave a Reply

*

All information on United Health Directory is meant only for educational purposes.
Consult your doctor if you have questions about your medical condition.
© 2005-2011 Eye Site Media. All rights reserved.